Alexander Ewing was born in Chester, PA, the son of architect George M. Ewing
, and graduated from Swarthmore High School. He trained at the University of Pennsylvania, completing a B. Arch. in 1943. After leaving Penn, the Ewing joined his father's firm, George M. Ewing Co.
, and was a partner in the practice from 1951 until 1960, when he formed Alexander Ewing & Associates
. Subsequent partnerships were Ewing Cole Erdman & Eubank
, 1970 to the late 1970s, and Ewing Cole Cherry Parsky
, late 1970s to 1992.