David Supowitz was born in Philadelphia and attended Southern High School. In 1915 he graduated from the University of Pennsylvania with his B.S. in Architecture and earned his M.S. in 1916. As an undergraduate he was the recipient of the Arthur Spayd Brooke Award. Although summers as an undergraduate had been spent in the employ of John T. Windrim
, in October, 1916 he began working for Magaziner & Potter
and stayed with them through the winter, returning to Windrim's office in April, 1917 for five more months. By October, 1917 he had relocated to Washington, DC, where he was employed by the U.S. Naval Construction Division. He did not return to Philadelphia until 1919 when he began work with Stanley Neubauer
in the office which would eventually be titled Neubauer & Supowitz
. This firm continued until 1926, and Supowitz then remained in individual practice through 1963. Although he had begun sharing an office as early as 1945 with architects Israel Demchick
and Shander Berger
, it was not until 1963 that the firm of Supowitz & Demchick
was formally established. Supowitz specialized in theatre designs, producing the Hollywood Theatre in Atlantic City, NJ (1936), and the Goldman Theatre in Philadelphia (1946).
Supowitz became a corporate member of the American Institute of Architects in 1943.