Baltimore, MD, native Lucius R. White, Jr. attended Baltimore's City College and the Maryland Institute College of Art before coming to Philadelphia to study architecture at the University of Pennsylvania. There, he completed a B.S. Arch. in 1909, winning the Stewardson traveling scholarship. White also taught as an assistant instructor while still a student (1908-1909), and as an assistant to Thomas Nolan
in 1909-1910 after completing his degree.
White began working as a draftsman for Baltimore architect Otto G. Simonson in the summer while still an architecture student. By 1922, when Simonson died, White had become chief draftsman. White continued Simonson's practice under his own name until 1949, when his son Edward C. White was named his partner. Between 1956 and 1961, the office was Lucius White, Edward White & Assocs. Between 1961 and 1964, Wilmer Chance was the Whites' partner.
White was prominent in the profession in Maryland. He served on the state's Board of Examination and Registration of Architects from 1937, chairing that board from 1953. He was a member of the Baltimore Planning Commission from 1950 to 1955, and of the Board of Architectural Reivew for the city of Baltimore and state of Maryland in the same period. White joined the national AIA in 1930 and was named to the College of Fellows in 1952. He was a member of the Baltimore Chapter of the AIA, serving as its president in 1945.