Before coming to Philadelphia around 1881, Patrick A. Welsh resided in Lock Haven, PA. His architectural practice in Philadelphia maintained offices at 221 South Sixth Street from 1881 to 1885, at 429 Walnut Street from 1886 to 1896, at 1237 Arch Street from 1897 to 1899, and at 1305 Arch Street from 1899 to 1905. By 1902 he had modified the name of his firm to Patrick A. Welsh & Co., with additional members William A. and M. A. Welsh. Although the Welsh offices chiefly operated a general practice, they often designed Catholic churches, including St. Aloysius in Pottstown, PA (1889). In 1892 Welsh reported alterations underway for several Catholic churches, including St. Joseph Church in Lancaster, PA, St. Mary Church (also known as Old St. Mary's) at Fourth and Locust streets. New work in that year included a parish house for St. Agatha Church at 3809-11 Spring Garden Street in Philadelphia. As the turn of the century neared Welsh even engaged in residential development, noting in the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders' Guide that he was working on a housing enterprise at Baltimore and Cedar avenues at 46th Street.
Even given the prosperous nature of his practice, Patrick A. Welsh remains something of a mystery, with both birth and death dates still unknown.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2023 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2023 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.