In 1895 the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide (PRERBG) reports that Charles Morris Wells is working in association with Richard Godeffroy in an office at 1229 Arch Street, under the name Richard Godeffroy & Company Independent projects for Wells are not reported thereafter until 1896, when it is noted in the PRERBG that he has dissolved his partnership with Godeffroy.
In 1897 he makes his first appearance in the Philadelphia city directories as an architect. He then continues in the directories through 1909, and in that year the PRERBG reports his address as Rutledge, PA, where he remains at least through 1928. Individual citations for building projects begin to appear for Wells in the PRERBG in 1895 and continue through 1928. Although his earlier citations indicate the usual predilection for residential design, beginning in 1909 with his move to Rutledge, Wells embarks upon a greater variety of projects, including the North Penn Baptist Church in Philadelphia, the Gibson apartments (423-425 South 15th Street, Philadelphia, 1927), and the dairy building for Pennhurst Farms (1928).
Sandra L. Tatman.
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2018 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2018 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.