John Stewart is chiefly remembered as the first and most successful partner of Samuel Sloan. The two men worked together at Andrew M. Eastwick's villa on the site of Bartram's Gardens in Philadelphia (1850-1851) that Sloan designed and Stewart built. Like Sloan a carpenter by training, Stewart listed himself under that trade in the Philadelphia city directories from 1845 until l853 when, having entered a formal partnership with Sloan (office at Sixth and Walnut streets) he began listing himself as an architect. The Sloan & Stewart partnership lasted from l852 until 1857. According to Sloan's biographer, into these five years "fall well over half of the buildings which can be definitely be assigned to Sloan. After the dissolution of the partnership, Sloan was never again so prolific nor so successful." A substantial part of the firm's projects were public schools, and Stewart's known works post-1857 are virtually all schools. After leaving Sloan, Stewart established an office at 427 Walnut Street which he maintained for most of the balance of his life. He had become a member of the St. Andrew's Society in 1854 and resigned in 1863. He became a member of the Philadelphia Chapter of the American Institute of Architects in 1871 but allowed his membership to lapse in 1877. He became a member of The Athenaeum of Philadelphia in 1860 and resigned in 1870.
Roger W. Moss.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- St. Andrew's Society
- Athenaeum of Philadelphia
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.