Charles Henry Wilson appears sporadically in the Philadelphia city directories from 1898 to 1927. For most of that time he is noted as an architect, but in 1898-99 he appears as an artist and in 1900 as a music teacher. In 1912 he is noted as the Charles H. Wilson Company, builders, with offices in the Real Estate Trust Building, but he returns to a designation for architecture in 1917.
Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide citations for Wilson's projects indicate a number of alteration and addition projects as well as designs for such Baptist churches as the Enon (214 Coulter Street, 1914) and St. Pauls (Riverton, NJ, 1920).
It would appear that Wilson moved to California because there is a World War II draft registration card in Oakland, California for an African-American named Charles Henry Wilson, II, born 6 August 1877 in Philadelphia. He was then working for the Bureau of Agricultural Economics. In 1958, when Wilson died, he was living in Alameda, California.
Our thanks to James Duffin of the University of Pennsylvania for his work in census, birth and death records which greatly enhanced and enlarged this biography.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.