Born in Augusta, GA, to a contractor father who took him along to his work sites, John B. Holloway, Jr., enrolled in the Haines Normal and Industrial School between 1919 and 1913. By the early 1930s he was studying at Tuskegee Institute, and by 1932 he is back in Augusta and has opened his own architectural office there, the first African American architect to have his own office in Augusta. During this stint in Augusta, which lasted until 1937, he designed the Antioch Baptish Church (1934). In 1937 Holloway moved to Washington, DC, where he worked first for Albert Irvin Cassell and then for Romulus Cornelius Archer. However, in 1939 he again moved, this time to Chicago, where he worked in the office of George Maceo Jones. Again this did not last long as 1940 found him in his own office Holloway & Associates which lasted until 1942.
In 1942 Holloway began attending the Urban-Champaign campus of the University of Illinois School of Architecture. Although he earned 30 credits at the School of Architecture, he did not graduate; and he would not again attempt academic training until 1950 at the Caholic University of American School of Architecture and Engineering in Washington, DC. Again he would withdraw -- this time at the end of fall semester 1951. By that time he was established in the District, with apartment houses under way for R. A. Froe and single-family residences for other clients.
Sandra L. Tatman.
- Tuskegee Institute
- University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.