Biography Projects Biographical References Related Architects printer-friendly version  

Born: 2/4/1868, Died: 1955

Born in born on February 4, 1868 in Scotch Plains, NJ, to Augustus Dennis Shepard, Sr. and Joanna Elizabeth Mead Shepard. His mother was the sister of William Rutherford Mead of McKim, Mead, and White of New York City. Shepard graduated from school in Lawrenceville, NJ, in 1889 and then studied architecture. However, where he studied has not yet been discovered.

After a brief partnership with Abner Haydel in Haydel and Shepard (1894-1900?)and a stint in the Army, it appears that Shepard concentrated independently on designing camps in the Adirondacks. According to the Adirondacks Camps National Historic Landmarks Theme Study, camps designed by Shepard, mostly located in Little Moose Lake(Hamilton County), N.Y. include: Fraley camp (1902), Clearing (1902-04); Frelinghuysen camp (1904); Roe camp (1905); Booth camp (ca. 1906); Miller boathouse (ca. 1906); Taylor camp (1906); Johnson camp (1906); Bostwick camp (1907-08) on Bisby Pond; Gifford camp (1908-09); Porter camp (1909); Huttig camp (1909) on Honnedaga Lake; Shepard camp (1910, for himself); Haynes camp (1913); Masters camp (1916-17, 1925); Riker camp (1916); Cowles camp (1917-18); Heckscher camp (1918); McIntosh camp (1920-21); Place camp (1922); Hanson camp (1923-26); Storm camp (1924); Armstrong camp (1925); Redfield camp (1925); and Douglas camp (1926)

Written by Sandra L. Tatman.

Clubs and Membership Organizations

  • Architectural League of New York

Links to Other Resources


Philadelphia Architects and Buildings | About | Participating Institutions | Feedback | Search | Login
Website and System: Copyright © 2022 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2022 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.