Reginald J. Wadsworth was born in Montreal, Canada, the son of Henry William and Grace Elizabeth (Turnbull) Wadsworth. Following graduation from Montreal High School he apprenticed to two firms in the city, Brown & Miller (1903-1904) and Ross & MacDonald (1905-1908). he then moved to Philadelphia where he received his Certificate of Proficiency in Architecture from the University of Pennsylvania in 1910 and spent the followng year as an assistant instructor in architecture at the University. He then returned to Montreal, where from 1912 to 1915 he practiced in his own firms (Huot, Wadsworth & Henderson, 1912-1913; Wadsworth & Henderson, 1914-1915). Returning to Philadelphia in 1915, he joined Mellor & Meigs as chief draftsman (1915-1919) and then moved on to Bissell & Sinkler, first as chief draftsman and later as associate (1919-1931). In 1936 he was involved in the development of Greenbelt, MD, associating with architect Douglas D. Ellington and town planner Hale Walker on the enterprise. Beginning in 1935 Wadsworth had undertaken work for the federal government, and he remained in the Washington, DC, area as an architect through 1952.
While Wadsworth was in Philadelphia, he was a member of the T-Square Club, serving on its membership committee from 1921 to 1923 and receiving the 1920 medal for the Club Sketch Problem. He joined the AIA in 1920 and transferred his membership to the Washington Metropolitan Chapter in 1946.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- T-Square Club
- Washington Metropolitan Chapter (AIA)
- University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.