An Historical Catalogue of the St. Andrew's Society of Philadelphia, with Biographical Sketches of Deceased Members, Vol. 1 (Philadelphia: 1907).,
Stonecutter, builder and sometime architect John Struthers was born in Irvine, Scotland, the son of William and Mary (Brown) Struthers; he migrated with his family to Philadelpia n 1816. Associated with William Strickland at an early date, John Struthers was the marble mason for Strickland's Second Bank of the United States (Chestnut Street between Fourth and Fifth streets, 1818-1824), where his name appears inscribed with Strickland's on the inner architrave of northern and southern porticoes, and the Philadelphia Exchange (corner of Third, Walnut and Dock streets, 1832-1834) where Struthers's name is similarly inscribed. Struthers joined Strickland as mason on St. Stephens Episcopal church (1822-1823), the steeple of Independence Hall (1828), and the Medical Hall, University of Pennsylvania (Ninth between Chestnut and Market, 1829), as well as the United States Naval Home (1827-1833) and the New Almshouse (1830).
In 1836 Struthers offered to supply at his own expense a new sarcophagus for the remains of George Washington at Mount Vernon, VA, and asked Strickland to make the design. The booklet published concerning the sarcophagus,The Tomb of Washington at Mount Vernon (Philadelphia: Carey and Hart, 1840), has been attributed to Strickland, but a surviving letter of his to Struthers clearly demonstrates that Struthers was the author.
Struthers became a member of the St. Andrews Society in 1822 and served as vice-president from 1840 to 1849.
Roger W. Moss.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.