Born in Pittsburgh, PA, Francis Keally graduated with his A.B. from Carnegie Institute of Technology in 1912 before gaining his B.S. in Architecture from the University of Pennsylvania in 1916. In New York City Keally worked in association with Cass Gilbert (1919-1928), Trowbridge & Livingston, and Alfred Morton Githens. In 1945 he established Keally & Patterson, and this partnership would last until Patterson's retirement in 1957. Keally retained his ties to Pittsburgh, and specifically to the Carnegie Institute of Technology; and in 1938 he and Githens produced a campus plan for CIT. In 1946 Keally & Patterson produced a design for a Women's Dormitory Group; and in the Architecture Archives at what is now Carnegie Mellon University, there also exists an undated design by Keally & Patterson for an Engineering and Science Hall.
Keally joined the AIA in 1921 and attained fellowship status in 1948.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Beaux Arts Institute of Design
- Architectural League of New York
- New York Chapter (AIA)
- University of Pennsylvania
- Carnegie Institute of Technology
Links to Other Resources
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2021 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2021 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.