Born in Naini Tal, India, the son of Alexander B. Allison, George B. Allison attended the Carnegie Institute of Technology before earning both a B. Arch (1925) and an M. Arch (1926) from the University of Pennsylvania. He received the Woodman Fellowship from the University of Pennsylvania.
By 1926 Allison had begun his office training in the firm of Paul P. Cret. From there he went on to Delano & Aldrich (1927-1928), John Russell Pope (1929-30). Thereafter he was probably back in Pittsburgh although his listing in the American Architects Directory does not acknowledge that stay. However, in 1929, when Allison & Allison, formerly of Pittsburgh, moves to Los Angeles, George B. Allison is probably with them, even though he doesn't list himself as a principal until until 1939. By 1944, with the retirement of partner James E. Allison, the office name changes to Allison & Rible (1944-1969). In 1970, the firm became Allison, Rible, Robinson & Ziegler.
George Allison joined the national AIA in 1942 and was named to the College of Fellows in 1955. He served as the president of the Southern California Chapter in 1948.
Sandra L. Tatman, and
Emily T. Cooperman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- University of Pennsylvania
- Carnegie Institute of Technology
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2018 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2018 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.