An Historical Catalogue of the St. Andrew's Society of Philadelphia, with Biographical Sketches of Deceased Members, Vol. 1 (Philadelphia: 1907).,
John Gibson was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, where he was apprenticed to a decorator. Following his apprenticeship, he emigrated to New York and established a partnership with his brother William, who was already working as a decorative painter. After two years John Gibson moved to Philadelphia, where he almost immediately displayed his examples of decorative work at the Franklin Institute. Success followed, and by 1837 he had set up as a painter and decorator in rooms in the Assembly Building at 10th and Chestnut streets. As his business grew, he moved to larger space at 79 South 11th Street. Around 1850 he added stained glass to his accomplishment and was joined in that effort by his brother George Gibson.
Gibson was married to Mary Notman, sister of John Notman. He served as vice-president of the St. Andrew's Society from 1855-1856 and from 1867-1874. He served as president of that Society from 1874-1876.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.