Born in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, to John Vernon and Alice (McCue) Murphy, Frederick V. Murphy was a student at Columbian (now George Washington) University from 1899 to 1901 and journeyed to Paris to study at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts, earning his diploma there in 1909. In 1924 he gained yet another degree, his LL.D. from Canisius College.
Soon after he returned from Paris, Murphy accepted a position as Professor of Architecture and Chair of the Department at Catholic University. He was at the beginning essentially, as the Catholic University website states, "a faculty of one," but the faculty grew and Murphy remained until his retirement in 1949. During his tenure students in the Department of Architecture "captured two national Paris prizes, two American Academy in Rome prizes, four Fontainebleau prizes, and 14 Beaux Arts Institute of Design prizes."
Murphy was also involved in a number of committees and programs in Washington, DC, and its surrounds, including serving as a member of the Board of Consultants for the Municipal Center, an Associate Architect for the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception (with Maginnis & Walsh). He was also a director of Allied Architects, Inc., and was selected as architect for the New Baltimore Cathedral (MD).
He was a decorated Chevalier of the Legion of Honor, a Knight Commander of the Order of St. Gregory, and a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Society of Beaux Arts Architects
- Cosmos Club
- Washington Chapter (AIA)
- Ecole des Beaux-Arts
- Catholic University
- Columbian (now George Washington) University
Links to Other Resources
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2022 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2022 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.