Chiefly known as a Doylestown, PA, architect, A. Oscar Martin was the son of carpenter/contractor Jonas and Mary Catharine Martin. He graduated from Doyestown High School and pursued his architectural education at Drexel Institute, followed by several years as a draftsman with Hazelhurst & Huckel in Philadelphia(1893-1895), Green & Wicks of Buffalo, NY, and Milton Bean of Lansdale, PA (1898-99). His first independent project is noted in the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide in 1896, however, when he announces that he has completed plans for the Salem Reform congregation on Court Street, presumably in Doylestown, PA. New projects do not appear for Martin until 1904, and then a mix of building types appears, including churches, residences, and office buildings. Expanding beyond architecture to engineering, Martin became a registered engineer and served as county engineer for Bucks County.
In 1928, after the graduation of his son Fred F. Martin from the University of Pennsylvania, A. Oscar Martin expanded his office to include both his son and Oscar S. Leidy, revising the firm name to A. Oscar Martin & Son, still in Doylestown. This office continued in operation through 1942, when the older Martin died.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- National Geographical Society
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2021 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2021 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.