Born in Philadelphia to John Hambleton and Lydia (Smedley) Webster, George S. Webster received his early education from the Friends Select School in Philadelphia, then gained his B.S. from the University of Pennsylvania in 1875. In 1910 he received the Sc.D. from the University. For his first engineering assignment Webster served in the engineering corps for the Centennial Exposition held in Philadelphia in 1876, but then became assistant engineer for the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey from 1876 to 1877 before taking on employment with the City of Philadelphia, beginning in 1877 as assistant engineer and extending until 1921, by which time he was chief engineer and president of the board of surveyors. In his City roles he designed the concrete bridge over Wissahickon Creek and both the Gray's Ferry Bridge and the Passyunk Avenue Bridge, both over the Schuylkill River. He designed and built the first sewage treatment plant in Philadelphia in 1908 and was a member of the Board of Engineers for the Delaware River Bridge Joint Commission.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Engineers Club
- Union League of Philadelphia
- Franklin Institute
- University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.