Georgina Pope Yeatman was born to Pope Yeatman, a mining engineer, and Georgie Watkins Yeatman of Ardsley, NY. She attended the Shipley School (1919) and then graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1922 with her B.A.. However, she continued studying at the University of Pennsylvania through 1924 (although in the 1956 AIA Directory she listed herself as gaining a B.A. from the University of Pennsylvania School of Architecture in 1924.) Then she moved on to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where in 1925 she gained her B.S. in Architecture. From May 1928 through April 1929 she worked in the office of Bissell & Sinkler, and then launched her private practice, effectively taking over the office of Bissell & Sinkler. In January 1936 Yeatman was appointed Director of the Department of City Architecture for the City of Philadelphia and remained with the City for a four-year term.
She was also a member of the Philadelphia Housing Association (1932) and developed a group of houses at Paoli for Joseph B. Ryan. In 1942 Yeatman transferred from the Philadelphia Chapter to the Boston Chapter, AIA, having relocated to East Jaffrey, NH. In 1939 Yeatman reported that she was registered to work in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and West Virginia.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Philadelphia Art Alliance
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- Boston Chapter (AIA)
- University of Pennsylvania
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Links to Other Resources
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2018 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2018 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.