William Amenta was born in Philadelphia and graduated from South Philadelphia High School. Unable to afford college tuition, he learned his profession working for Edmund B. Gilchrist for twelve years (1928-1940), and then briefly with Paul Cret as a draftsman before World War II. After the war, he worked with various firms until 1947, when he and E. George Lavino formed a partnership that lasted until 1949, when he joined Carroll, Grisdale & Van Alen as a designer. There he worked with his future partner Preston Andrade. Amenta established his own office in 1953, and was joined the following year by former office-mate Andrade and John W. Wright, Jr. They in turn were joined by John F. Gane in 1961. Amenta left his partners in 1968 to establish an independent practice.
Emily T. Cooperman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2017 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2017 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.