Caricature of R. C. Ballinger
(Washburn, c. 1906)
Philadelphia In Cartoons, as Seen by Philadelphia Newspaper Cartoonists (s.l.: s.n., 1906),
> View more images [2 total]
Richard C. Ballinger launched the building and contracting firm of R. C. Ballinger & Co. in 1889, with engineer Frederick J. Amweg and business partner F. Douglass Heckman, who, according to Philadelphia and Popular Philadelphians was also a "practical plumber and gas-fitter." By 1895 Amweg is no longer associated with the firm, and by 1901 Heckman has been replaced by Ernest R. Yarnall. In 1926 John A. Stratton is added to the list of partners, and by 1929 Paul B. Cotter has also joined the firm.
In the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide for 3 October 1894 R. C. Ballinger & Co. announces that it has organized to manufacture Lansing Artificial Stone in Philadelphia, apparently a reference to an early form of permastone.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.