A native Philadelphian, Clifford E. Garner was the oldest son of Hazel and Herbert W. Garner, a salesman for the American Sales Book Company. He attended North East High School prior to his architectural training at Pennsylvania State University. Upon graduation, Garner worked in the offices of Ralph B. Bencker from 1931-36, Thalheimer & Weitz from 1936-1940, and with United Engineers and Constructors from 1940-1945. In November, 1945 he formed a partnership with Louis Shoch. In 1955, Garner joined Arthur B. White to formalize their partnership; Garner & White would last until his death in 1972.
Garner joined national AIA in 1946-the same year he began independent practice-and maintained membership in the Philadelphia Chapter throughout his career.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- Pennsylvania State University
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2022 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2022 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.