[Design for a Club House]
(Charles E. Oelschlager)
The prolific Charles Oelschlager appears in Philadelphia city directories as a draftsman from 1892 to 1897 and as an architect from 1898 to 1935/36. He had studied at the Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art from 1891 to 1893, and after he launched his own firm in 1897 he notes an office in the Harrison Building (Room 1009 from 1898 to 1910 and Room 1011 from 1911 to 1916). From 1917 to 1935/36 his office address appears as 1615 Walnut Street.
Oelschlager's practice was a general one and in the early days included a number of church commissions (Reconciliation P.E. Church and Sunday School, 13th and Tasker streets, 1899; Third German Baptist Church, 10th and Ritner streets, 1906); however, by 1909 he had embraced the new moving picture theatres with his design for a theatre (moving picture and vaudeville) on Broad Street between Ritner and Porter streets in Philadelphia. There followed other commissions for moving picture theatres and film companies, but these were also augmented by garages and automobile showrooms (automobile showroom for Henry A. Laughlin, Penn Avenue and Whitfield Street, Philadelphia, 1915; Gomery-Schwartz Autocar, 130-140 North Broad Street, Philadelphia, 1916; Keystone Pure Oil Co., gasoline filling and service stations, Broad Street below Huntingdon Street, Philadelphia, 1919; Neel-Cadillac Co., 25th Street and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia, 1919).
Oelschlager was an active member of the T-Square Club, joining the organization in 1895 and serving as secretary in 1896.
Sandra L. Tatman.
- Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2022 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2022 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.