Jane West Clauss, wife of Alfred Clauss was born in Minneapolis, MN, and received her B. A. in Interior Architecture from the University of Minnesota in 1929. She was the first American woman to work in the atelier of LeCorbusier in Paris (1932-ca. 1934), and associated with Alfred Clauss on the design of "Little Switzerland," a suburb of split-level houses outside of Knoxville, TN. When Alfred Clauss returned to Philadelphia, Jane West Clauss moved also, and began teaching interior architecture in the department of art at Beaver College (1946-1964). During this time she also associated with Clauss & Nolan, with offices in Trenton, NJ.
Jane West Clauss joined the AIA in 1964 and was a member of the Central Jersey Chapter.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2018 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2018 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.