George Grier Bassett may be Philadelphia's only centenarian architect. He was born in Salem, NJ, the son of Richard and Lydia Ann (Grier) Bassett. After an education in private schools and with tutors, he came to Philadelphia and in 1889 entered the office of Theophilus Parsons Chandler as a draftsman. By 1893 he had joined the firm of Baily & Truscott and by 1902 was a partner in that firm. After Arthur Truscott resigned from the firm in 1904, Bassett's name replaced his in the partnership, creating Baily & Bassett. This association continued until William Baily's retirement in 1930/31. The dissolution of the partnership freed Bassett to travel extensively in the United States and abroad, where he devoted himself to painting in both oils and watercolors.
Like his partner, William L. Baily, Bassett was a member of the Society of Friends. He had joined the T-Square Club in 1892, the Philadelphia Chapter of the AIA in 1905, and the national AIA in 1910.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Merion Cricket Club
- Philadelphia Art Club
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- T-Square Club
- Society of Friends
- Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2021 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2021 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.