Established in 1925 by University of Pennsylvania classmates Edwin H. Silverman and Abraham Levy, Silverman & Levy first occupied offices at 313 South Smedley Street. Although the partners' initial work appears to have concentrated on alterations and additions to stores and store/office combinations, by 1926 they were executing more ambitious projects, such as the building for Mastbaum Bros. & Fleisher, northeast 5th Street and Olney Avenue in Philadelphia. By 1928 they had landed the design for the prestigious Rebecca Gratz Club at 534 Spruce Street, as well as several projects for Gimbel Brothers Store at 8th and Market streets. Silverman & Levy were not confined to commissions from the Jewish community, but they did benefit from the support found there. In 1935 they executed alterations to the Jewish Hospital at North Broad Street and Old York Road.
Sandra L. Tatman.
- University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.