Edwin H. Silverman was born in Philadelphia, the son of Isaac H. and Ida Hirsch Silverman. He graduated from Central High School in 1916 and received his B.S. in Architecture from the University of Pennsylvania in 1920. During his undergraduate days Silverman worked for both Horace Trumbauer and Hoffman-Henon. After an 11-month trip abroad, he returned to Philadelphia to work first for Samuel Abramson and then spent some two years with Andrew J. Sauer. In 1925 Silverman and Abraham Levy established Silverman & Levy wtih offices at 313 South Smedley Street in Philadelphia. This firm endured until 1949, when the partners dissolved their association, each to then work on his own. Most of the commissions gained by Silverman & Levy were for commercial structures such as the Peck & Peck Building at 1720-22 Chestnut Street.
Silverman served as a trustee for the National Farm School and for the Reformed Congregation, Keneseth Israel Synagogue. He also operated as managing editor for the Journal of the American Institute of Architects, director of the Philadelphia Chapter, AIA, and director of the Pennsylvania Society of Architects.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Pennsylvania Society of Architects
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- Keneseth Israel Congregation
- Mercantile Club
- Philmont Country Club
- University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2018 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2018 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.