Wilson Eyre & McIlvaine is the name of the firm established in 1911 by partners Wilson Eyre and John Gilbert McIlvaine. The name of the firm would be maintained by McIlvaine after Eyre's retirement and, in fact, would continue in use until McIlvaine's death in 1939. Although the much older Wilson Eyre would appear to be the design leader for the firm and certainly has the more recognizable name, especially outside of Philadelphia, John G. McIlvaine would also be responsible for individual projects within the office's repertoire (such as the Arthur M. Ross house in Warrenton, VA).
A prolific firm chiefly known for its residential designs, Wilson Eyre & McIlvaine maintained offices in both Philadelphia and New York City (on Lexington Avenue), which allowed the partners to extend the radius of their influence to Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Maine. As a conduit for English-influenced residential design, the office also became a training ground for younger architects such as Valentine B. Lee and William Heyl Thompson.
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2018 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2018 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.