T. Roney Williamson was born in West Chester, PA and resumed his residence there in 1884, while maintaining an office in Philadelphia. It is not surprising, therefore, to find the greatest number of T. Roney Williamson projects located in West Chester. Son of Edward Hand and Anna (Roney) Williamson, he attended Dr. Faires's Academy at 13th and Locust streets in Philadelphia and by the age of 18 or 19 had been apprenticed to Henry A. Sims. Although Williamson's time with Sims was interrupted by a lengthy and unsuccessful trip to Colorado to make his fortune, he returned to the Sims office in 1873, and continued there following Sims' death in 1875 for four years, practicing with younger brother James P. Sims. In 1879, Williamson opened his own office in the Merchants' Exchange, and was joined there by younger brother William Williamson, who later moved to Michigan and California. Williamson continued in practice until his untimely death in 1896. Although Williamson's output was chiefly residential and in a Queen Anne style probably affected by English precedent, he did design the Dimmick Library in Mauch Chunk, PA (now Jim Thorpe, PA) and the First National Bank in Woodlawn, NJ.
Williamson became a junior member of the Philadelphia Chapter of the AIA in 1870 and was elevated to professional membership in 1875. He joined the T-Square Club in 1886.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- T-Square Club
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2021 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2021 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.