George O. Totten, Jr., was born in New York City and graduated from Columbia University's architecture program in 1891. He completed his architectural education in Paris, where he studied in the ateliers of Daumet
. By 1897 he and Laussat R. Rogers
had established the partnership known as Totten & Rogers
, with an office in Washington, DC. By 1898 this had expanded to a Philadelphia office, administered by Rogers, who was residing in Delaware. This firm remained in the Philadelphia city directories through 1908, but Totten maintained his office in Washington both before and after the dissolution of the partnership.
In Washington, DC, he designed the University Club (1914), the French and Spanish Embassies, the Polish Legation, and the Congressional Club. His work can also be found in the Library for the University of New Hampshire in Durham, NH.