[Memorial Chapel for a University]
Local ID #: 190506/071b
James S. Warner grew up near Erie, PA. His parents were Col. James and Rebecca M. Warner. In 1905 he received his B.S. in Architecture from the University of Pennsylvania and his M.S. in Architecture from that institution in 1906. Philadelphia city directories indicate that by 1909 Warner was a draftsman in an unspecified office, but Frederick T. Bigger's AIA application states that by 1908 the firm of Bigger & Warner had been established in Seattle, WN. By 1910 both Warner and Bigger had moved to Philadelphia and joined Edmund Evans in the new firm of Evans, Warner & Bigger. This lasted only a few years, however, before Bigger returned to his native Pittsburgh, and the firm became Evans, Warner & Register. Even after Warner's death, Edmund C. Evans continued to use his name on the office, listing Evans & Warner in the Philadelphia city directories through 1925.
For the last four years before his death, Warner served as an instructor in the Architectural Department at the University of Pennsylvania and resided in the University dormitories.
Sandra L. Tatman.
- University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2018 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2018 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.