Born in Windsor, Ontario, Harry G. Stewart became a citizen of the United States in 1919, after graduating from the University of Pennsylvania with his B.S. in Architecture in 1918. He then served as a draftsman for Albert Kahn in Detroit from 1919 to 1920, a designer for Horace Trumbauer in Philadelphia from 1920 to 1923, and chief draftsman for Stewardson & Page from 1923 to 1927. In 1928 he launched an independent firm, with which he continued until 1937, when he was joined by Edmund Purves and Thomas Pym Cope in the firm of Purves, Cope & Stewart. This firm was dissolved at the outbreak of World War II, and Stewart was put in charge of architectural and engineering work at Marine Corps bases in Cherry Point, NC, and Edenton, NC. After the war, Stewart resumed his independent career, but by 1954 he was in another firm, this time with Sydney Martin and Robert W. Noble. In 1962 this firm was amplified by the addition of Robert Allan Class, and the name changed to Martin, Stewart, Noble & Class, later Stewart, Noble, Class & Partners. Stewart retired from active practice in 1969.
He became a member of the AIA in 1929 and was elevated to emertus status in 1970. He was active with the Philadelphia Chapter of the AIA and the Pennsylvania Society of Architects. He belonged to the St. Andrews Society and the Scottish Historic and Research Society. His firm received the Gold Medal of the Philadelphia Chapter of the AIA in 1954 for the design of the Mercantile Library in Philadelphia.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Pennsylvania Society of Architects
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- St. Andrews Society
- Scottish Historic and Research Society
- University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2021 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2021 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.