Born in Philadelphia, Herman Polss received his early education at Southern High School and then undertook the program in architecture at the University of Pennsylvania, graduating in 1923. Immediately he entered the office of Hewitt & Ash, remaining there through 1925. There followed a series of engagements with Philadelphia offices, including: John Molitor, 1925-1926; Ralph Bencker, 1926-1929; Louis Magaziner, 1929-1933; the Public Works Administration, 1934-1940; the Ballinger Company, 1940-1942; Verus T. Ritter, 1942-1944; and finally Baader Young & Schulze. By 1940 he was occasionally citing his own firm; but it is apparent that most of his work was developed under the auspices of larger, better known offices. Around 1949 he and Louis Magaziner established a partnership which endured some five years, producing at least one major commission, the Sidney Hillman Medical Center in Philadelphia. In the Philadelphia Chapter AIA Membership records there is also a citation in 1962 to Roney & Polss, with offices at 1612 Fox Building.
Polss joined the AIA in 1944.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2023 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2023 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.