Son of Frank C. and Mary E. Carver, John Stanley Carver attended Williamson Technical School before entering the Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art. From there he went on to Syracuse University as a special student and then to the Beaux-Arts Institute of Design, receiving a certificate in 1932, after having spent some five years in the T-Square Atelier. By 1924, however, he had already begun a long career as a school architect by seeking and gaining employment with the Philadelphia Board of Education; his tenure with the Board would continue through 1945.
By 1937 Carver was undertaking some independent projects, and by 1939 he had established Carver, Davis, Ehrlich & Poole. This was succeeded by Davis, Dunlap & Carver from 1945 to 1953, and by independent practice again in 1953.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Philadelphia Art Alliance
- Pennsylvania Society of Architects
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- Philadelphia Sketch Club
- Beaux Arts Institute of Design
- T-Square Club
- Union League of Philadelphia
- Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art
- Syracuse University
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.