Born in Warrenton, VA, Lawrence Drake earned a B. A. at Princeton University in 1941, and that same year enlisted in the U.S. Army. He held the rank of major by the end of World War II. After the war, he returned to school, enrolling in the University of Pennsylvania, where he completed a B. Arch. with honors in 1952.
In 1956, Drake joined the firm of Francis, Cauffman, Wilkinson & Pepper. Drake founded his own office in 1957, but remained with other firms concurrently for over a decade: he joined the office of William Heyl Thompson in 1958, remaining until 1968. Drake joined the national AIA in 1960 and was a member of Philadelphia Chapter. He as served on the Schuylkill Township (Montgomery County, PA) planning commission from 1962 until 1981, chairing this body for part of that period. Drake also was a member of the zoning hearing board of Phoenixville, PA from 1968.
Emily T. Cooperman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- University of Pennsylvania
- Princeton University
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.