E. George Lavino was born in Philadelphia, the son of Alma Joly and Edward J. Lavino. George Lavino attended the Hoosac School and earned an undergraduate degree in 1931 at Williams College before enrolling in the architecture program at the University of Pennsylvania, where he earned a B. Arch. in 1936 and was a member of the Delta Phi fraternity. He worked in a number of Philadelphia architectural offices before World War II, including R. Brognard Okie (1935), Edmund B. Gilchrist (1936-1940), and Savery, Scheetz & Gilmour (1941). Lavino was also associated with William A. Amenta in the 1940s. In 1946, Lavino started his own office, but in 1948 he left architectural practice to join the businesses founded by his father, serving as the corporate secretary for E. J. Lavino & Company, building materials producers, and also of the Lavino Shipping Company. Lavino retired in 1967.
Lavino joined the national AIA in 1946, and maintained his membership in the Philadelphia Chapter into the 1960s. He was a member of the national board of governors of Delta Phi, and of the executive committee of the national intrafraternity council. Lavino also served on the board of the Hoosac School.
Emily T. Cooperman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- University of Pennsylvania
- Williams College
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2017 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2017 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.