E. Stanley Young was born in Philadelphia to Florence (Porter) and Joseph Young. After graduating from West Philadelphia High School in 1919, he received his architectural education at the T-Square Club Atelier (1919-1922), Philadelphia School of Design (1921), and Drexel Institute (1922-1925). He served as a draftsman for Ritter & Shay (1919-1932) and as a job captain and project manager for Verus T. Ritter (1932-1942). While working for Ritter, he became acquainted with Ernest J. Baader and Walter L. Schultze. With them he organized the firm of Baader, Young & Schultze in 1942. After Baader's retirement in 1956, the firm continued under Young & Schultze until 1965, when Young and Elwood L. Exley, who had been made a partner in that firm, formed Young & Exley. Young may have ceased to practice about 1966, when this partnership dissolved.
Young joined the national AIA in 1944 and was a member of the Philadelphia Chapter. He served as the president of board of trustees of the United Presbyterian Church of Manoa, PA between 1942 and 1947.
Sandra L. Tatman, and
Emily T. Cooperman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- T-Square Club
- Philadelphia Museum School of Art
- Drexel Institute
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.