Jacob Rowland Snyder was born in Bangor, PA, and gained his architectural education at Drexel Institute (1918-20) before earning his B. of Architecture and Masters of Architecture (1928) at the University of Pennsylvania. While at the University he won both the Woodman Scholarship and the Brooke Medal. After graduation he worked for Robert Rodes McGoodwin from 1928 to 1931 and then with Paul P. Cret from 1931-1932. From 1933 to 1934 he was in the office of Harry Sternfeld and then moved to Washington, DC, in 1934. There he engaged in government work and was employed in the office of Pierson & Wilson (1937-38). In 1948 he opened his own office, changing it to Howe, Foster & Snyder from 1952 to 1958.
In DC Snyder was involved in the work of several government agencies, including the U.S. Public Buildings Administration, 1934-35, the National Capital Housing Authority, 1939-45. By 1961 he was employed in the Division of Public Buildings for the General Services Administration and served as the director of the design division (1961-66) and director of the architectural division (1966-1968). He retired from public service in 1968.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Watercolor Club
- Washington Metropolitan Chapter (AIA)
- University of Pennsylvania
- Drexel Institute
- Philadelphia Musical Academy
Links to Other Resources
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2017 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2017 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.