Paul Monaghan was born in Harrisburg, PA, the son of James and Mary (McCloskey) Monaghan. After graduating from St. Joseph's Preparatory School in Philadelphia, he received his B.S. in Architecture from the University of Pennsylvania in 1907. By 1911 he was an architect with the Philadelphia Department of Wharves, Docks & Ferries, but in the following year he established his own firm and developed a specialty in the design of Catholic churches and institutions, including a number of buildings for Villanova University and for Immaculata College, both in Pennsylvania. He retired from active practice in 1962.
Monaghan joined the AIA in 1942 and was a member of the Philadelphia Chapter. He was registered to practice in Delaware, the District of Columbia, Mississippi, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia. From 1910 to 1911 Monaghan also taught architectural construction at the University of Pennsylvania.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Merion Cricket Club
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.