Melissa Coleman, nee Minich, was born in Landisville, PA, where she would later practice. She trained at Pennsylvania State College, earning a B. S. in 1939 and winning the BAID medal in 1938. Coleman began her career in the Wilmington, DE office of John F. Mullins, working there in 1939-1941. Her husband Clifford LeRoy Coleman was in the same office at the time. Between 1941 and 1947, when they established Coleman & Coleman in Landisville, Melissa Coleman worked in a number of firms: Hercules Powder Company (1941-1942), A. T. Granger Associates (1944), and the Buchart Engineering Company (1945). In 1970, the Colemans merged their firm with the Myerstown, PA partnership Haak & Kaufman to form Haak, Kaufman, Coleman & Coleman.
Coleman joined the national AIA in 1948 and was a member of Central Pennsylvania Chapter, chairing the public relations and information committee in 1955. She served as the 2nd vice president of the American Association of University Women in 1952-1953.
Rima M. Girnius, and
Emily T. Cooperman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Central Pennsylvania Chapter, AIA
- Pennsylvania State University
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2018 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2018 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.