Edward E. Hendrickson spent the greater part of his professional career in the office of Frank Miles Day & Bro.. He was born in Allentown, NJ, the son of Nathan and Anna Hardekar) Hendrickson. After an early education in the public schools of Crosswicks, NJ, he entered Spring Garden Institute in Philadelphia, where he caught the attention of Spring Garden architectural critic T. P. Chandler, who offered him a position as draftsman in his office. (In the 1882/83 Annual Report for Spring Garden Institute, it is noted that Hendrickson had received first prize for the design of a cottage "with details of mantel and stairway." Presumeably it was this design which brought him to Chandler's attention.) He remained with Chandler's office from March, 1883 to 1884, before moving on to work for Lindley Johnson, with whom he would remain for some 10 years. During his time with Johnson, he was also loaned to John J. Deery for nearly seven months. Also while working in Johnson's office he attended evening classes at Drexel Institute in architectural studies. In 1895 Hendrickson entered the employ of Frank Miles Day and was placed in charge of specification writing. By 1902 he had formally become an associate of the firm, and he remained with the Day firm for some 35 years in total.
Hendrickson joined the T-Square Club in 1885 and the Philadelphia Chapter of the AIA in 1886. He joined the national AIA in 1901. In addition, he held memberships in the Philadelphia Art Alliance and the English-speaking Union. From 1889 to 1926 Hendrickson returned to Spring Garden Institute as a professor of architectural studies.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- T-Square Club
- Drexel Institute
- Spring Garden Institute
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.