James Russell Harris was born in Philadelphia, the son of James Russell and Susan Reed Harris. He received his early education at Friends' Central School in Philadelphia and his B.S. in Architecture at Harvard University in 1896. He then entered the office of Frank Miles Day & Bro. as a draftsman. While in the office, he met Frank E. Newman and the two, along with Henry Gillette Woodman established the office of Newman, Woodman & Harris. Following Woodman's death from typhoid fever in 1902, the name was revised to Newman & Harris, and as such it continued through 1910, when Frank E. Newman left Philadelphia. Harris then embarked on a short independent career before setting up another firm with Louis H. Rush under the name Harris & Rush. This partnership endured into 1914 only; and Harris then became a silent partner in the firm of Magaziner & Eberhard. By 1923 his name had formally been added to the firm, making it Magaziner, Eberhard & Harris. This relationship ended around 1930, and then Harris once again pursued an independent career.
Harris was a member of the Philadelphia Chapter of the AlA and the T-Square Club. He also held membership in the Lawrence Scientific Association.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- T-Square Club
- Lawrence Scientific Association
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.