[Group photo of Harbeson, Hough, Livingston & Larson]
Harbeson, Hough, Livingston, Larson
John Harbeson Collection, Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Local ID #: 47-P-055-001
> View more images [8 total]
Established as successors to Paul P. Cret, Harbeson, Hough, Livingston & Larson was established in 1945 (following Cret's death) by several of the "associates", all former Cret students: John F. Harbeson, William Hough, William Livingston, Sr., and Roy Larson. Later the sons of Harbeson, Hough, and Livingston joined the firm, as well as such University of Pennsylvania graduates as F. Spencer Roach and Charles Ward. As the older members of the firm retired, the younger generation evolved into H2L2 in 1976.
In the 1950s Harbeson, Hough, Livingston & Larson excelled in academic design, contributing the Eisenhower Chapel (1956) to the campus of Pennsylvania State University. In the 1960s their involvement with Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia produced a campus plan as well as Scott Library. Partner Paul Cret Harbeson's interest in bridge design also led to the office's involvement with the design of the Walt Whitman Bridge in 1959.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Links to Other Resources
- Includes a firm history and images of buildings from the office of Harbeson, Hough, Livingston & Larson
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2017 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2017 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.