Established around 1881 by Edward P. Hazlehurst
, recently of the firm of Frank Furness
, and Samuel Huckel, Jr.
, an alumnus of the firm of Benjamin D. Price
, this firm operated a general practice, including a strong showing in country houses (J. F. Sinnott residence, 1889, Rosemont, PA, now part of Rosemont College), churches (Church of the Messiah, 1888, Broad Street and Montgomery Avenue), and the Manufacturers Club (1409 Walnut Street, Philadelphia), a commission which they won in an 1887 competition. In both the Sinnott residence and the Manufacturers Club, detail similar to that seen in T. P. Chandler
's residential design can be observed, testifying to the impact of that architect on the young Hazlehurst. In later years the firm also expanded into bank design (Wilkes-Barre Safe & Deposit Co., Wilkes-Barre, PA, 1898) as well as several structures for the City of Philadelphia.
However, in 1900 the partners disbursed after Huckel gained the commission to remodel Grand Central Station in New York City and re-located to that city. Although Huckel would soon return to Philadelphia, the partners did not reconstitute their office; and Huckel went on to establish a new partnership with church architect Frank R. Watson (Watson & Huckel) while Hazlehurst worked independently.
Fortunately for researchers, the partners published two compilations of their work in Architecture through a Camera in 1894 and 1896. Further, Philadelphia and Popular Philadelphians (1895) included a biography of the firm as well as a list of commissions, including some prices for the work. As the Popular Philadelphians editors stated, "The firm has acquired a high reputation for the beauty and reliability of its plans, and has successfully executed some of the most important undertakings in this city and vicinity."