Samuel D. Hawley, II, architect and real estate developer, was born in the Frankford neighborhood of Philadelphia, the son of Benjamin and Georgiana (Nobel) Hawley. He attended George Meade Grammar School and graduated from the Northeast Manual Training School in Philadelphia in 1903, before receiving his B.S. in Architecture from the University of Pennsylvania in 1907. During his college career he spent one summer working for Price & McLanahan and another working for Horace Trumbauer, but upon graduation he began three years of apprenticeship, employed first by P.A. Kley for architectural and engineering services and then for two years by G.S. Smith, according to Hawley's Philadelphia Chapter AlA application. (The reference to G.S. Smith is confusing, since at that time the Philadelphia city directories do not indicate an architect by that name at work in Philadelphia.)
In 1910, Hawley and another University of Pennsylvania graduate, Robert Rodes McGoodwin, established McGoodwin & Hawley, which endured until 1912. After the partnership dissolved, Hawley, who resided in the East Falls neighborhood of the city, continued some of the work which McGoodwin & Hawley had begun with the development of Queen Lane Manor. In 1921 he was joined by Benjamin Hawley, a real estate developer, and the two established the partnership named Hawley & Hawley. This arrangement was rather short-lived, however; and by 1923 the firm was called Samuel D. Hawley & Co., architects, with offices at 30 South 17th Street, and with Charles Hawley, presumably another member of the family, made a full partner. Neither Charles nor Benjamin Hawley remained in the architectural profession beyond their affiliation with Samuel D. Hawley; and by 1926, Samuel D. Hawley & Co. is listed in the Philadelphia city directories as a real estate firm, and Charles Hawley is noted as a construction engineer.
Until 1936 Samuel 0. Hawley & Co. remained with its real estate designation, and the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide ceased to report their activities as architects around 1926. Samuel D. Hawley, II, was a member of the AlA, but the national AlA Archives report that he resigned in 1918 "to go into the paper business," a surprising and apparently unfounded allegation.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Orpheus Club
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2018 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2018 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.