Charles L. Hillman, the son of Samuel and Rebecca Hillman, was born in Camden, NJ, educated in the Philadelphia public schools, and entered an apprenticeship with Addison Hutton in July, 1876. His relationship with Hutton was to be a long and varied one; and his initial apprenticeship lasted until February, 1891, except for a period of six months, when he worked for James P. Sims. Following this period of employment, Hillman and J. C. M. Shirk, another alumnus of the Hutton firm, established a partnership (Hillman & Shirk). In 1892 both Hillman and Shirk returned to Addison Hutton as partners, but by 1893 Shirk had withdrawn from this arrangement, leaving Hutton & Hillman to continue their partnership through 1896. In 1896 Hillman, perhaps realizing Hutton's strong ties to his nephew architects, the Saverys, who later succeeded Hutton in the firm, w:ithdrew from this firm and established an independent enterprise with offices in the Provident Building in Philadelphia. There he was joined in 1911 by his son Charles S. Hillman, who became a full partner in 1912. There is no doubt that Hillman's architecture was deeply affected by his association with Addison Hutton, and the residences which he designed showed much of the Colonial Revival style which Hutton' s successors, Savery, Scheetz & Savery, would also use to great advantage. Like Hutton, also, Hillman designed a considerable number of commercial and office buildings.
Hillman was a founding member of the T-Square Club in Philadelphia. He also belonged to the AlA and was a Mason. He traveled in Central Europe in 1891.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- T-Square Club
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.