Henry S. Harvey was born in Winona, Mississippi, the son of Henry Pitman Harvey. He graduated from high school in Birmingham, AL, in 1909 and received his B.S. in Architecture from the University of Pennsylvania in 1914. He then attended the T-Square Club atelier and apprenticed in the firms of William L. Welton (summers, 1909-1914) and William C. Weston (1914). In 1915 he began work for Day & Klauder and remained with them until 1917, at the same time working with Edward M. VanVoorhees on a few projects as Van Voorhees & Harvey. During WWI Harvey worked for the U.S. Air Service in construction (1917-1919). By 1920 Harvey had established an independent firm in Palm Beach, FL, under the name of Selkirk, Harvey & Clarke (later Harvey & Clarke). As a result of this move, most of Harvey's architectural work can be found in Florida, where he was a member of the West Palm Beach City Planning Commission.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- T-Square Club
- University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2018 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2018 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.