Edwin L. Fugate 3rd was the son of Edwin Jr. and Mary L. Fugate. He graduated from Germantown High School in Philadelphia and was trained at the University of Pennsylvania, earning a B.Arch. in 1931. He began his career in the office of H. Louis Duhring, where he worked primarily on residential projects between 1935 and 1936. In 1937, he worked for John Lane Evans, and then joined the DeLong Furniture Co. as a designer. Between 1941 and 1942, he was in the office of Fridtjof Tobiessen and then worked as an aviation draftsman for the Glenn L. Martin Aircraft Co. in Baltimore, Maryland during the remainder of World War II. Fugate joined the office of T. Norman Mansell at the close of the war, and was made an associate in 1955, the same year he became a registered architect in Pennsylvania. Fugate was made a full partner in the firm in 1959. He joined the Philadelphia Chapter of the AIA in 1956, served as president and director on the executive board of the Junior Committee for the Philadelphia Orchestra, and as a vestryman at Calvary Episcopal Church in Germantown.
Emily T. Cooperman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Pennsylvania Society of Architects
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.