Walter F. Thaete was born in Philadelphia, the son of Harry Augustus and Blanche Cline Thaete, and attended Central High School and Temple Preparatory School in the city before he enrolled at the University of Pennsylvania. Thaete completed a B.Arch. at Penn in 1937. He began his career as a designer for developers Wayne & Malcolm Herkness, working for them from 1937 until 1939. Thaete then moved to the office of J. Roy Carroll, remaining there until 1940, when he joined the firm of Karcher & Smith. After Walter T. Karcher's death in 1953, he became a partner in the firm with Livingston Smith. After Smith died in 1961, Thaete practiced under his own name until 1964, when he and older architect William H. Lee formed Lee & Thaete Associates. Thaete had retired from the firm by 1983, when he became the resident architect at Eastern College, where Lee & Thaete had designed several buildings and done a master plan.
Thaete joined the national AIA in 1943, and was an active member of the Philadelphia Chapter, serving as treasurer in 1951-1953, and as recorder from 1955 to 1960. Thaete also served as a director of the Pennsylvania Society of Architects. Thaete served as a lieutenant in the U. S. Navy during World War II.
Emily T. Cooperman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Pennsylvania Society of Architects
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- T-Square Club
- Union League of Philadelphia
- Carpenters' Company of Philadelphia
- Penn Club
- University of Pennsylvania
- Eastern College
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.