Philadelphia-born S. Brian Baylinson, son of Nathan Baylinson, attended DeWitt Clinton High School in New York City before earning a B.S. in Architecture from the University of Pennsylvania (1920), winning the Arthur Spayd Brooke Medal. Baylinson then set off for Paris to round out his education at the Ecole des Beaux Arts where he operated as a freelance student. Upon his return to the States, Baylinson entered the office of Frank E. Hahn and soon rose to the status of chief designer. Foremost among the buildings with which Baylinson was associated in the Hahn firm are the Warwick Hotel and the Young Men's Hebrew Association Building, both in Philadelphia. From approximately 1923 to 1928, the two architects worked as a firm; but in 1928 Baylinson struck out on his own, with an office in the Franklin Trust Building. In 1931 he moved to 1520 Locust Street but soon relocated to New York City, where he continued in private practice until his death.
While in New York, Baylinson served on the Mayor's Panel of Architects for Municipal Work; and from 1967 to 1968 he was a member of the Historical Buildings Committee of the New York Chapter of the AIA. Also a talented painter and sculpture, in 1968 he was awarded the Salmagundi Dr. H. De Bellis Annual Sculpture Prize.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- T-Square Club
- New York Society of Architects
- New York State Association of Architects
- New York Chapter (AIA)
- University of Pennsylvania
- Ecole des Beaux-Arts
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.