Baily & Bassett represents the partnership of two alumni of the T. P. Chandler firm, William L. Baily and George Grier Bassett. It operated from 1904 until 1930/31, when Baily retired. This firm succeeded Baily's partnership with Arthur Truscott (Baily & Truscott) which had dissolved in January 1904. As with the earlier firm, the focus of work for the partnership was residential design, including several country residences in the suburbs of Philadelphia where Baily & Bassett exercised their clients' taste for both colonial and Tudor revival styles. Leavening this general practice was also Baily's connections to Haverford College, where the partners designed an infirmary in 1912 and the Science (Sharpless) Hall in 1917. Although Baily's heart may have been increasingly with his ornithological avocation, little sign of diversion from business can be identified as the firm neared his 1930 retirement. In the 1920s, the partners undertake several large commissions, including the business offices for George Woods Sons Company at 512-14 Walnut Street (1922-23) and 20 residences for the Whittier Center Housing Company at 10th and Union streets in Darby, PA (receiving estimates: December 1926).
Baily & Bassett represent the very popular architectural firm of the early twentieth century in Philadelphia. With a practice chiefly based on residential design, mixed with a smattering of business, academic, and ecclesiastical buildings, all rendered in traditional styles (but relying on English and colonial revivals), Baily & Bassett prospered by giving their clients comfortable, liveable design.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2023 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2023 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.